Adrenal Fatigue is a group of related signs and symptoms (a syndrome) that stem from the adrenal function being below normal. It can be difficult to determine as it mimics other health issues that may or may not be related to adrenal fatigue. There are accurate saliva hormone test that give clear indications of the current state of the adrenal glands.
It has been suggested that Adrenal Fatigue will affect approximately 80% of people at some point in their lives. Some people will experience reoccurring bouts of adrenal fatigue while others experience chronic debilitating symptoms of adrenal fatigue for long periods. These people may take several months to get their health and wellness fully restored.
Regardless if your adrenal fatigue is mild or severe there is hope.
The Adrenal glands are two triangular glands that sit on top of the kidneys. The adrenal glands produce the hormones cortisol and DHEA, Cortisol is the hormone that helps in responding and coping with stress, trauma, infections and environment extremes. Cortisol also increases energy and metabolism, helps to regulate blood pressure and decreases inflammation. DHEA helps protect against heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis. It can also increase and enhance energy levels, libido, memory and immunity and protects against the effects of stress.
Adrenal fatigue involves overworked, damaged or depleted adrenal glands. Stress is one of the biggest factors in adrenal fatigue.
Adrenal fatigue is implicated in a long list of ailments:
- Patchy hair loss
- Lowered immune system
- Chronic fatigue
- Low blood sugar
- Poor concentration/memory
- Poor sleep
Life Events and Actions that Deplete Adrenals
There are Three Stages of Stress or Adrenal Fatigue
1) The “fight or flight’ (alarm) response that happens in response to a confrontation with a stressful situation. This causes the stress hormones to be produced directing blood toward the muscles and limbs to be ready to flee.
2) When the stressful situation subsides the stress hormones revert back to normal production
3) The adaptive phase involves learning to cope with the perceived threat (stressor). The production of cortisol increases and can lead to headaches, insomnia, hypertension
4) Exhaustion occurs when the capacity for adaptation is overwhelmed. And is characterized by depletion of energy. The exhaustion phase of continual stress can eventually lead to adrenal insufficiency
The Toxic Effect of Excessive Stress
- Adrenal Fatigue
- High blood pressure
- Digestive disturbances
- Depleted immune system – increased susceptibility to infections
- Chronic Fatigue, fatigue
- Excessive stress may lead to Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
- Muscle weakness, muscular tics
- Anxiety, depression, fat cravings, headaches, memory loss, sugar cravings, insomnia
- Hyperventilation, sinusitis
- Male impotence reduced sexual desire
- Hair loss, hives, Psoriasis
Saliva Hormone Stress Profile Tests
Saliva Hormone tests provide an accurate measure of the cortisol and DHEA hormones. Saliva tests the free bioavailable hormones (the ones your body is using). The Stress profile is taken over a full day with 4 samples being taken throughout the day. The samples are taken by you at home, posted to our fully accredited lab in Australia. The results are sent to our Naturopath within 10 working days. Our practitioner will schedule a telephone session with you to explain what your reading means and offer suggestions to effective management to restore normal function rapidly.
Saliva hormone test help monitor your treatment program to ensure you are ‘on track’ even though you will ‘feel’ better it’s great to have that with some science that shows you are better!
Natural therapies offer a range of effective treatments for stress and in particular Adaptogen herbs, vitamins and minerals along with lifestyle/diet modification.
Stop the slippery slide to burn out now, take stock, test and plan for recovery with the guidance of a fully qualified practitioner, expert in women’s health and hormones.
If you are unsure if Adrenal Fatigue is your problem or if it is perhaps another hormone or health issue, please book a quick chat with our Natuorpath and she will help you to get clear.
Recipes for Well-being
Free downloads with premium subscription - My most poplular group including Nutrifocus Cookbook, 12 Super Smooties, and The Intermittent Fasting guide. You will also be the first to hear of VIP offers and gifts coming your way. opt out any time, I value your privacy and will never share/sell your details