Check your symptoms
This table will help you choose the most suitable test kit, based on the symptoms you have.
😛 emoticons Denotes suitable Kits,1,2,3 numbers rate the most suitable kit in order of importance
Learn More About The Role of Individual Hormones in Your Health
Here we touch on some of the significant points related to specific hormones. This reference is useful when choosing the multiple hormone test kits. You may also like to check the symptoms pages
- ESTRONE E1
- ESTRADIOL E2
- ESTRIOL E3
Androstenedione is a type of Androgen Sexual Steroid Hormone produced by the Hair Follicles, male Testes and (in much lesser quantities) by the female Ovaries. It is also produced in lesser quantities by (both the male and female) Adrenal Cortex of the Adrenal Glands. Androstenedione is regarded as a weak Androgen as it does not exert physiological effects to the same extent as the major Androgens.
Health Benefits of Supplemental Androstenedione
- Supplemental Androstenedione may improve Athletic Performance.
- Supplemental Androstenedione increases (subjective feelings of) Energy.
- Supplemental Androstenedione may facilitate Muscle Growth:
- Androstenedione may stimulate Muscle Growth in its “own right” – in addition some supplemental
- Androstenedione is converted within the body to Testosterone which is a well-established initiator of
- The ability of Androstenedione to cause Muscle Growth is limited (rate-limited) by the availability of the necessary enzyme that catalyzes this conversion of Androstenedione to Testosterone.
- Supplemental Androstenedione may increase Muscle Strength.
- Supplemental Androstenedione helps to prevent Osteoporosis in women who have had an ovariectomy:
- Removal of the Ovaries causes a reduction in endogenous Androstenedione production and this causes subsequent Bone loss.
- Supplemental Androstenedione may improve Memory – especially Short Term Memory (this effect occurs via the conversion of Androstenedione to Testosterone, a known enhancer of Memory).
- Supplemental Androstenedione may improve Mood. research
- Supplemental Androstenedione (taken approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to intended sexual activity) has been reported to increase Sexual Desire in some people (this effect is believed to occur from the conversion of Androstenedione to Testosterone).
- Supplemental Androstenedione increases the body’s Estradiol levels – caution excessive Estrone is associated with various toxic side effects.
- Small amounts (1 – 5%) of Androstenedione are converted (by the P-450 Aromatase Enzyme) within peripheral tissues (e.g. Adipose Tissue) to Estrone:
- Supplemental Androstenedione (300 mg per day) causes a significant increase in the body’s Estrone levels – caution excessive Estrone is associated with various toxic side effects.
- Androstenedione is the immediate precursor for the endogenous production of Testosterone.
- Cortisol is a type of Adrenal Glucocorticoid Hormone (Corticosteroid) manufactured by the (zona fasciculata and zona reticularis of the) Adrenal Glands.
- Cortisol helps to control Allergies (by stabilizing Lysosomes).
- Cortisol significantly inhibits Inflammation (via several mechanisms):
- Cortisol stabilizes the Cell Membranes of Lysosomes.
- Cortisol decreases the permeability of Capillaries (resulting in less Blood Plasma and fewer Cells entering areas of Inflammation).
- Cortisol suppresses the activity of Phagocytes.
- Cortisol suppresses the synthesis of several endogenous compounds involved in Inflammation (including Interleukin 1 and Tumor Necrosis Factor-a).
Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate is a type of Steroid Sexual Hormone Precursor.
- DHEAS is chemically similar to Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) except for the inclusion of Sulfate in this molecule – DHEAS is predominantly water-soluble, whereas DHEA is predominantly fat-soluble. It is produced in and secreted by the zona fasciculata and zona reticularis of the Adrenal Glands.
- DHEAS possesses Life Extension possibilities: The death rate for people who naturally have high levels of DHEAS is lower than for those with reduced levels of DHEAS.
- Higher than average levels of DHEAS are associated with a reduced mortality rate from Cardiovascular Diseases:
- DHEAS suppresses the proliferation of the Cancer cells involved in Pancreatic Cancer (by inhibiting the Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) enzyme).
- DHEAS alleviates Amnesia.
- DHEAS enhances the function of Glial Cells (it improves their survival rate).
- DHEAS enhances the release of Acetylcholine from the Hippocampus.
- DHEAS enhances Long Term Memory.
- DHEAS facilitates the survival of Neurons.
The body’s levels of DHEAS decline in tandem with the progression of the Aging Process – by the age of 70, DHEAS levels in most people have declined to approximately 20% of their peak levels
Dihydrotestosterone is a Hormone that is an oxidation product of Testosterone.
Toxic Effects of Dihydrotestosterone
- Dihydrotestosterone causes Hair Follicles to go into resting phase which results in Male Pattern Baldness –
- Dihydrotestosterone is manufactured endogenously in the Sebaceous Glands and then attaches to and shrinks the Hair Follicle, reducing the diameter of the hair shaft and restricting the nutrient supply to the Hair. The underlying mechanism for this process is that the body’s Immune System treats the
- Dihydrotestosterone that has attached to the Hair Follicle as an Antigen (i.e. as a foreign body) and begins to destroy the Hair Follicle, subsequently causing Hair Loss.
- Dihydrotestosterone (paradoxically) accelerates the development of Hirsutism (i.e. excessive body Hair growth especially on the Back and from the Ears).
- Binding of Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to Androgen Receptors on Hair Follicles stimulates the production of excessive amounts of Sebum.
- Dihydrotestosterone potently stimulates the growth of Prostate Cancer cells (it is presently believed that
- DHT is five times more potent in stimulating Prostate Cancer cell growth than Testosterone). Sexual System
- Excessive serum Dihydrotestosterone is a principal cause of Enlarged Prostate.
Dihydrotestosterone Interferes with these Substances
- DHT inhibits the body’s production of Elastin.
These Substances Counteract Dihydrotestosterone
- Cosmeceuticals – Skin Improvers
- Ethocyn (applied topically) is claimed by its manufacturers to block receptors for Dihydrotestosterone.
- Estrogens are speculated to inhibit the production of Dihydrotestosterone.
- Progesterone inhibits the conversion of Testosterone to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (by inhibiting the activity of 5-Alpha Reductase, the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of Testosterone to DHT).
- Enterodiol inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Enterolactone inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Matairesinol inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Secoisolariciresinol inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Beta-Sitosterol (60 – 130 mg per day) is strongly speculated to inhibit the conversion of Testosterone to
- Dihydrotestosterone by the 5-Alpha Reductase enzyme.
- Zinc inhibits the conversion of Testosterone to DHT (by inhibiting the activity of the 5-Alpha Reductase enzyme that is responsible for this conversion).
- Vitamin B2 inhibits the conversion of Testosterone to DHT by inhibiting the activity of 5-Alpha Reductase.
These Foods/Herbs Minimize the Toxic Effects of DihydrotestosteroneHerbs
- Nettle inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Prostate cells (thereby preventing DHT from stimulating the proliferation of Prostate cells that leads to Enlarged Prostate and/or Prostate Cancer).
- Saw Palmetto effectively inhibits the production of Dihydrotestosterone and also blocks
- Dihydrotestosterone attaching at cellular binding sites, which increases its breakdown and excretion:
- Saw Palmetto lowers Dihydrotestosterone levels by up to 66% in the Prostate gland.
- Flax Seeds inhibit the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) (due to the Plant Lignans content of Flax Seeds).
These Substances Increase DHT Levels
- 5-Alpha Reductase catalyzes the conversion of Testosterone to DHT.
- Approximately 6 – 10% of the body’s free Testosterone is converted (via the 5-Alpha Reductase enzyme).
- Estrogens are a group of Female Sexual Steroid Hormones produced in the Ovaries and (to a lesser extent in males) the Testes. Estrogens raise HDL Cholesterol levels and lower LDL Cholesterol levels.
- Estrogens improve Blood Circulation to the Brain (and thereby alleviate Cerebral Insufficiency).
- Estrogens (preferably natural Estrogens identical in chemical structure to those produced endogenously) help to prevent Alzheimer’s Disease in post-menopausal women and improve the Mental Function of persons afflicted with Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Estrogens prevent Alzheimer’s Disease via numerous mechanisms.
- Estrogens improve Blood Circulation to the Frontal Lobe of the Brain.
- Estrogens normalize Brain Wave generation.
- Estrogens stimulate the production of and increase the Brain’s sensitivity to the effects of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF).
- Estradiol (one of the Estrogens) inhibits the ability of Amyloid-Beta Protein to destroy Neurons.
- Estrogens facilitate the growth of Dendrites.
- Estrogens are speculated to inhibit the deposition of Ceroid in the Brain.
- Estrogens improves Blood Circulation to the Frontal Lobe and Precentral Gyrus areas of the Brain.
- Estrogens improve Memory (studies have demonstrated the ability of Estrogen Replacement Therapy to improve Short-Term Memory and Long-Term Memory in women).
- Estrogens help to prepare the female body for Pregnancy.
- Estrogens are responsible for the growth and development of the Uterus at puberty.
Toxic Effects of Excessive Estrogens
The toxic effects of Estrogens only occur when the sum of Estradiol + Estrone exceeds 50% of the body’s total Estrogens . (i.e. when the proportion of Estriol is less than 50%).
Excessive Estrogens production increases the risk of some forms of Cancer:
- Estrogens potently stimulate Cell Growth in certain tissues. The more cells divide, the greater the risk that a genetic mishap will occur that could lead to the uncontrolled proliferation of Cells characterized by Cancer, especially:
- Breast Cancer (specifically 2-Hydroxyestrone form of Estrone)It is noteworthy that of the three types of Estrogens, Estradiol is 1,000 times more potent in terms of its ability to stimulate Breast tissue growth compared to Estriol.
- Pharmaceutical supplementation of Estrogens to postmenopausal females is a major cause of Endometrial Cancer (due to their Estrone and/or Estradiol component).
- Excessive endogenous production of Estrogens in women is implicated in Ovary Cancer.
- Excessive endogenous production of Estrogens in men is implicated in Prostate Cancer.
- The specific Cell growth that Estrogens are known to stimulate is Trophoblasts which are strongly implicated in Cancer when they are produced in situations other than Pregnancy.
Excessive use of exogenous, supplemental Estrogens by postmenopausal women increases their risk of developing Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE).
Estrogens inhibit the mobilization of Adipose Tissue from Cellulite for redistribution to other areas of the body (possibly accounting for the greater incidence of Cellulite in females than in males).
- Excessive Estrogens levels can cause Depression (due to them blocking the Serotonin manufacturing properties of Vitamin B6).
- Excessive Estrogens levels or a high Estrogens:Progesterone ratio (Estrogens Dominance) may be a cause of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Elevated Estrogens levels or Estrogens activity is suspected of causing Endometriosis.
- Excessive production of Estrogens is implicated in the PMS-A (Anxiety) form of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS).
- Estrogens Dominance (i.e. an excess of Estrogens relative to Progesterone) is a common cause of Uterine Fibroids.
Controversial Aspects of Estrogen
It is widely believed that women require additional Estrogens (Estrogen Replacement Therapy) during and after Female Menopause:
During and following Menopause, a significant number of females do NOT require Estrogen Replacement Therapy – the female body still produces a small quantity of Estrogens (from Androstenedione within Adipose Tissue) – Estrogen production merely declines in tandem with the female body’s reduced requirement for Estrogens that were formerly necessary to prepare her Endometrium for Pregnancy.
Estrone is a type of Estrogen – it is a Female Sexual Steroid Hormone.
Potentially Toxic Effects of Estrone
- Excessive production of Estrone (and impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver) has been closely linked to Breast Cancer.
- Excessive endogenous production of Estrone can cause Endometrial Cancer.
- Excessive production of Estrone (and impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver) has been closely linked to Ovarian Cancer.
- Excessive production of Estrone increases the risk of Prostate Cancer.
- Excessive production of Estrone (and impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver) has been closely linked to Uterus Cancer.
Impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver causes the PMS-A form of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS).
These Factors Interfere with Estrone Production
Female Menopause causes a decline in female production of Estrone (and it is for this reason that post-menopausal women are often administered exogenous Synthetic Estrogens (this practice known as Estrogen Replacement Therapy (ERT))):
- Synthetic Estrogens differ in their chemical structure to that of the body’s natural Estrogens and can produce toxic side-effects that exceed those of natural, endogenous Estrogens. For this reason post-menopausal women are advised to consider the use of natural Estrogens in ERT (natural Estrogens are more difficult to procure than Synthetic Estrogens).
- The ideal proportion of Estrone (preferably natural Estrone) for post-menopausal females in Estrogens Replacement Therapy is:
– 3% Estrone combined with:
– 90% Estriol
– 7% Estradiol
Estradiol is the major (most biologically potent) Estrogen produced and secreted by the Graafian Follicle of the female Ovaries (and produced in smaller quantities in males) – note that Estradiol is not one single compound – there are two forms of Estradiol (of which Estradiol 17-Beta is the most biologically potent).
Estradiol helps to maintain normal Brain function and helps to prevent Alzheimer’s Disease in men (the main way that male Testosterone helps to maintain Brain function in men is through its conversion by Aromatase enzyme to Estradiol) – men have a higher concentration of Estradiol Receptors in their Brain than the concentration of Testosterone Receptors:
Male Alzheimer’s Disease patients have significantly lower levels of Estradiol than healthy control subjects.
Estradiol increases (female) Sexual Desire (by stimulating the endogenous production of Nitric Oxide Synthase (NOS) which catalyzes the production of Nitric Oxide (NO)).
Estradiol stimulates the growth of Cells of the Uterus.
Estradiol stimulates the growth of Cells of the Vagina.
(Atrophic) Vaginitis can occur as a result of insufficient endogenous production of Estradiol, especially in postmenopausal women – exogenous Estradiol (25 mcg per day administered locally to the Vagina via pessaries) alleviates Atrophic Vaginitis where the cause is insufficient endogenous production of Estradiol.
Estriol is a type of Estrogen – Female Sexual Steroid Hormone.
Health Benefits of Estriol
Estriol protects against carcinogen-induced, Estradiol and Estrone-induced, X-Rays-induced and Radiation Therapy-induced Breast Cancer:
Estriol competes with Estradiol and Estrone for the occupancy of Estrogens Receptors. Because Estriol has minimal ability to stimulate Cell proliferation, it thereby inhibits the ability of other Estrogens to stimulate Breast Cell proliferation (by occupying Estrogens Receptors that would otherwise be occupied by Estradiol or Estrone).
Estriol inhibits the ability of Estradiol and Estrone (and synthetic Estrogens that mimic Estradiol and Estrone) to stimulate the growth of Cancer Cells involved in Uterus Cancer.
Estriol (natural, not synthetic) is the primary natural Estrogen recommended for use in Estrogen Replacement Therapy (ERT) post-menopausal women whose production of Estriol declines significantly following Female Menopause. Intelligent physicians recommend that natural Estriol comprise 80% of the Estrogens in natural Estrogens Replacement Therapy. research
Estriol is produced endogenously in largest amounts by the Placenta during Pregnancy.
Estriol (Estriol cream applied intravaginally) alleviates many cases of Vaginal Atrophy.
Estriol (cream applied intra-vaginally) alleviates Vaginitis.
Estriol (specifically, topically applied 0.3% Estriol) retards and reverses some aspects of the Aging Process in the Skin:
- Topical Estriol increases the moisture content of the Skin.
- Topical Estriol markedly improves the elasticity and firmness of the Skin.
- Topical Estriol decreases Wrinkles (as measured scientifically by the depth of Wrinkles using Skin profilometry) by between 61% and 100%
- Topical Estriol decreases the size of Enlarged Pores (as measured scientifically Skin profilometry) by between 61% and 100%.
- Topical Estriol increases the quantity of Type III Collagen in the Skin and increase the quantity of Collagen Fibers in the Skin.
These Ailments Interfere with Estriol
Female Menopause causes a significant decline in the production of Estriol.
Melatonin is a Neurohormone (regarded as a Neuropeptide) produced by the Pineal Gland (and to a lesser extent in the Retina of the Eye and by the Enterochromaffin Cells of the Gastrointestinal Tract).
- Melatonin secretion declines rapidly in tandem with the Aging Process (see table).
- Melatonin possesses distinct Life Extension properties:
- Melatonin treated mice live for an average 20% longer than untreated mice. Photographs of “old” mice treated with Melatonin reveal that their fur is thick and lustrous and their bodies firm and streamlined, while the untreated mice have flabby bodies and wrinkled necks and scruffy coats that are graying in patches.
- Aspirin interferes with the endogenous production of Melatonin.
- Excessive consumption of Alcohol (ethanol) inhibits with the body’s production of Melatonin.
- Tobacco interferes with the endogenous production of Melatonin.
Progesterone is a type of female Sexual Steroid Hormone secreted by the Ovaries, Placenta and (in small amounts) by the Adrenal Cortex and (in males) the Testes.
Biological Function and Therapeutic Applications of Progesterone
- Progesterone inhibits the excessive proliferation of the Smooth Muscle of the Endothelium of Blood Vessels (excessive proliferation of the Smooth Muscle of the Endothelium of Blood Vessels can lead to Atherosclerosis).
- Progesterone helps to prevent many types of Cardiovascular Diseases (due to its ability to minimize risk factors for Cardiovascular Diseases such as elevated LDL Cholesterol, lowered HDL Cholesterol and elevated Triglycerides levels).
- Progesterone helps to prevent Heart Attack.
- Progesterone helps to prevent Hypertension (by facilitating the excretion of excessive Sodium from the body).
- Optimal endogenous Progesterone levels appear to assist the prevention of all forms of Cancer (in women) and some forms of Cancer (in men):
- Progesterone levels help to prevent the development of Breast Cancer.
- Progesterone helps to prevent Endometrial Cancer in postmenopausal females (by counteracting Estrogens-dominance that is implicated in Endometrial Cancer).
- Progesterone inhibits the growth of Prostate Cancer cells (by inhibiting the conversion of Testosterone to Dihydrotestosterone and by opposing the Prostate Cancer stimulating effects of Estrogens).
- Progesterone may stimulate Prostate Cancer cells to undergo Apoptosis (programmed cell death).
- Progesterone helps to prevent Uterus Cancer.
- Progesterone facilitates the utilization of Adipose Tissue in Energy production.
- Progesterone lowers total serum Cholesterol levels:
- Progesterone increases HDL Cholesterol levels.
- Progesterone lowers elevated LDL Cholesterol levels.
- Progesterone increases Energy levels – in its role as an uncoupling agent
- Progesterone facilitates the utilization of Adipose Tissue (body fat) in the production of Energy.
- Progesterone may be useful for the treatment of Obesity
- Progesterone facilitates the utilization of Adipose Tissue (body fat) for the production of Energy.
- Progesterone lowers elevated serum Triglycerides levels.
- Progesterone alleviates many cases of Fibromyalgia (according to many anecdotal reports).
- Progesterone deficiency is a major cause of Osteoporosis
- Progesterone increases bone mass density (BMD) by 7% after one year of supplementation, by 12% after two years, and by 15% after three years. Women administered supplemental Progesterone up to the age of 80 following Menopause exhibit strong Bones without evidence of Bone loss while continuing to use natural Progesterone.
- Progesterone is speculated to increase the chances of recovering from and surviving Coma.
- Progesterone improves Concentration ability in anovulatory premenopausal and postmenopausal women.
- Progesterone alleviates and helps to prevent some forms of Depression.
- Irritability can occur as a result of abnormally low Progesterone levels.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates Migraine in many women
- Progesterone may be an effective therapy for Multiple Sclerosis (due to its ability to counteract estrogens dominance. research
- Progesterone facilitates the formation and maintenance of Myelin Sheaths. research
- Progesterone helps to restore normal Sleep cycles.
- Progesterone helps to prevent Miscarriage:
- Progesterone prevents the premature shedding of the supportive secretory Endometrium during Pregnancy.
- Progesterone alleviates Ovarian Cysts.
- Progesterone increases female Sexual Desire.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates Uterine Fibroids (by counteracting the estrogens dominance that is the underlying cause of many cases of Uterine Fibroids).
- Progesterone (Progesterone cream applied intravaginally) alleviates many cases of Vaginal Atrophy.
- Natural, exogenous Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates Vaginitis (including the vaginal dryness and atrophy of Mucous Membranes of the Vagina that are associated with Vaginitis).
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Acne in adult women (by counteracting the excessive production of Androgens that causes most cases of adult Acne in women).
- Progesterone (as a component of some Cosmeceutical Skin Moisturizers) alleviates Dry Skin (by facilitating the retention of Water in the Skin).
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Psoriasis.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Rosacea in women.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Seborrhea in women.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) helps to remove fine Wrinkles from aged Skin.
- Testosterone is the principal Androgen (Male Sexual Steroid Hormone).
- Testosterone increases the body’s Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).
- Abnormally large Breasts can occur in women as a result of insufficient endogenous production of Testosterone.
- Testosterone alleviates Male Impotence.
- Supplemental, exogenous, natural Testosterone often alleviates Male Menopause (by counteracting the decreased free serum Testosterone associated with increased levels of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin). Testosterone is responsible for (and increases) Sexual Desire (libido) in both males and females:
- Lack of Sexual Desire (libido) in post-menopausal females is often caused by insufficient Testosterone production – supplemental Testosterone (administered by a qualified practitioner implanting a Testosterone “pellet” under the skin every six months) often restores the libido of such females.
- Testosterone exerts its effects on Sexual Desire by influencing (presently unidentified) Receptors in the Brain.
- Even small surges in Blood “free” Testosterone levels can increase Sexual Desire.
- Testosterone is responsible for stimulating the development of Male Sexual Organs and male secondary sexual characteristics (e.g. beard growth, deepening of the voice) during puberty.
- Testosterone improves (male) Sexual Performance (men with low serum Testosterone levels (i.e. below 1.4 ng/ml) exhibit impairment in Sexual Performance (as measured by night erections)).
- Testosterone (cream applied topically to the Clitoris) improves (female) Sexual Performance (by increasing the sensitivity of the Clitoris).
- Testosterone regulates the production of Sperm in males.
- Testosterone is responsible for stimulating the development of female secondary sexual Hair.
These Substances Facilitate the Production/Function of Testosterone
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) increases plasma Testosterone levels (via its influence on Acetylcholine neurotransmission in the Striatal Cortex of the Brain).
These Substances Interfere with Testosterone
- Caffeine decreases free Testosterone levels (in postmenopausal women).
- Elevated Cortisol levels inhibit the production of Testosterone.
- Melatonin inhibits the production of Testosterone – although low dosage levels of Melatonin (up to 3 mg per day) do not appear to interfere with Testosterone production.
- Progesterone lowers endogenous Testosterone production (in men) to levels that prevent the proper maturation of Sperm.
- Alcohol (ethanol) decreases the production of Testosterone and lowers the body’s Testosterone levels.
- Cocaine lowers serum Testosterone levels. Marijuana reduces serum Testosterone levels.
- Tobacco smoking inhibits the production of Testosterone (by causing the destruction of Leydig Cells that normally produce Testosterone).
- Vegetarians have approximately 18% lower Testosterone levels compared to meat eaters (this occurs because vegetarians have a lower intake of Dietary Fats which are precursors for Testosterone production; also the Fiber Polysaccharides in Vegetables bind to Testosterone and other Steroid Hormones).
- Excessive Exercise (i.e. overtraining) suppresses the body’s Testosterone production:
- Endurance Exercise reduces (both bound and free) Testosterone levels.
- Excessive Isotonic Exercise (i.e. overtraining) can cause (temporary) depletion of endogenous Testosterone during the 24 – 48 hour recovery period between workouts in people who engage in Isotonic Exercise.
Keeping and Building Lean Muscle
as You Age
Muscle tone can and often does gradually decline with the aging process. This process of muscle loss is exacerbated by sedentary lifestyles and ‘aches and pains’ than can make moving uncomfortable.
Muscle Tone is not necessarily about bulk or mass, rather more about definition and strength. Maintaining muscle strength is important in helping keep your balance, thus preventing falls and injuries. Muscle tone/strength has a psychological influence, giving you more confidence with movement along with more energy.
Keeping moving will also protect you against such disorders as osteoporosis and degenerative cartilage and joint problems. Having strong well toned muscles keeps you young at heart!
It’s never too late, you may think there have been too many children and too many years to have a six pack tummy. I am here to challenge that! It is possible, but it will take some commitment.
The first step is to get moving, choose an exercise program that is manageable for your current fitness level (always check with your health care provider before commencing a new exercise program).
This may begin with a short walk, or gentle yoga. For those with joint pain or damage the pool may be the best place to begin to get moving without pressuring the joints. Work up to using some hand held weights, which can be increased over time. The primary thing is this daily program becomes part of your habit, so do something each day and add variety by doing different things each day.
Six pack abs begin in the kitchen!
You may have thought they came from crunching it out in the gym? Yes you do need to do some exercise but begin in the kitchen.
5 tips to build lean muscle in the kitchen
Tip 1: Consume nutrient rich foods that are low in calories, high in protein and fiber.
Undenatured whey is the best source of bio-available protein; Isalean shakes have an ideal balance of protein, carbohydrate, fibre along with good fats and a rich source of essential nutrients and enzymes. This provides an excellent source of nutrient dense low calorie food to fuel strong muscles.
Tip 2: Additional protein at night and after a workout
Add an extra dose of undenatured protein to your after work out shake to reduce muscle soreness and stimulate muscle growth.
Tip 3: Get a good nights sleep
Poor sleep has been shown to interrupt the bodies natural processes including metabolism and appetite regulation. Plus it can actually increase appetite- stimulating hormones. Not what you need when you are trying to find those abs under that belly fat….
Tip 4: Supplements help
A good quality supplement program provides the body with essential nutrients and trace elements. Choose these carefully, some are literally lost down the loo. This helps curb cravings. When your body wants something (nutrient) it will send messages that something is needed, the trouble is most people do not recognize what their body is telling them. For example some people confuse a protein craving for a sweet tooth. Some believe they are hungry when they are actually dehydrated. Which brings me to one of my favorite things….keep well hydrated. Drink at least 2 liters of filtered water a day. Yes this is in addition to coffee, tea, soda…just water, add some lemon juice to it if you think you don’t like the taste.
Tip 5: Cleanse away extra body fat
Cleansing is a highly specialized form of intermittent fasting that takes this to a whole other level. A super charged fast! A combination of specific herbs, and nutrients offer deep cellular cleansing second to none. Proper preparation and breaking of a cleanse is important and nutritional cleansing offers such an approach. Deep cellular cleansing flushes toxins at a cellular level, again water will be most useful to send them washing away. Yes you may pee a lot…think of it as peeing your way to health!
A good cleansing regime will release fat stored toxins (no need to hang onto the fat if the toxins are gone) reset food cravings supporting weight loss.
Elite athletes following this program find they improve personal best in their times or weights after a cleanse. We may not be elite athletes but we can adopt some of what they do to help keep our muscles young and strong.
Estrogens – Female Balance
There are two main hormones secreted by the ovaries in females, estrogens and progesterone. The properties of one offsets the other and together they are maintained in optimal balance in our body at all times. When they are out of balance it can lead to significant health and wellness issues.
Estrogens are a group of steroid sexual hormones produced in the Ovaries in females and to a lesser extent in the Testes in males.
The Estrogen group is made up of E1 – Estrone, E2 – Estradiol and E3 –Estriol.
This group of Estrogens when in balance, plays major roles in keeping your skin clear and wrinkle free, your bones strong, your mind sharp, and increase your HDL Cholesterol levels (this is the good one). Well balanced estrogens are also essential for healthy normal functioning of the reproductive system.
Estrogens are important for the health functioning of many of the vital organs and systems in our body.
Today, we use the word estrogen loosely to include also a family of hormones, including animal estrogens, synthetic estrogens, phytoestrogens (plant estrogens), and xenoestrogens (environmental estrogens, usually from toxins such as pesticides and plastics).
Some of the signs and symptoms of an imbalance between Estrogens and Progesterone.
- Unwanted hair growth
- Breast tenderness
- Water retention
- Weight gain
- Cyclical migraines
- Mood swings
- Skin outbreaks
- Digestive imbalance
- Fuzzy thinking
- Irregular periods / anovulatory cycles
- Breakthrough bleeding, spotting
Hormones are continually fluctuating, moving through cycles and have their ebbs and flows. The natural flow of your hormones is influenced by a number of factors, including what you where born with. Diet and lifestyle have tremendous impact on your hormone levels and this, unlike genes, you can have control over.
Dietary and lifestyle changes. Lifestyle is a critical factor in the production and storage of estrogens, progesterone and testosterone to support hormonal balance. Here are five simple elements to start with today.
- Limit exposure to xenoestrogens. Choose organic foods when possible, and wash your produce. If you include animal foods in your diet, select those that were sustainable raised without hormones and harmful chemicals. Avoid plastics for heating or storing food, and limit body care and cleaning products to those with all-natural ingredients.
- Eat a natural, plant-based diet. Eating lots of vegetables provides fibre, which feeds the beneficial flora in your intestines, which help you metabolize your hormones. Plant foods also provide your body with phytoestrogens, which protect your body from damaging xenoestrogens. Good choices include legumes, licorice, yams, and anything in the broccoli/cabbage family. Foods to avoid include those made with refined flours, sugars, partially hydrogenated fats, and artificial ingredients.
- Restore balance with supplements. I generally recommend high-quality daily nutritional supplements to help restore a woman’s hormonal balance. Because they work as molecular messengers, nutrients such as B-vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids can help increase your body’s ability to balance its hormone ratios.
- Manage stress levels. The adrenal glands also produce estrogens and take over the process after menopause. Thus it is vital to support the adrenal and protect against adrenal exhaustion. I do this with a combination of adoptogen herbal tonics and a good quality multi-vitamin/mineral. Of course where the stress can be managed this is the most desirable. I work with clients one-on-one to help them uncover the underlying stressors and we work together to develop strategies to manage stress.
- Detoxify the system with a Nutritional Cleanse, this gentle program focuses on saturating every cell in the body with high quality organic nutrients then flushing and supporting the natural detoxification processes of the body, to remove old worn out hormones. Another essential element is supporting the liver, and bowels as they are major players with this process. learn more here
Saliva hormone test kits give an accurate measure of hormones including estrogens, and other gender specific hormones. Saliva hormone test can also check on the levels of cortisol and DHEA (stress hormones) and others. visit the information page to learn more about these
The Health Nut offers a range of test and analysis procedures to help uncover the underlying cause of your ill-health , these include:
- Iridology – in clinic or via email
- Ph – Acid Alkaline test – in clinic
- Health Assessment Questionnaire – in clinic or online
- Mineral Assessment – online
- Saliva Hormone Test – at home
- Food Sensitivity – at home
- Hair Mineral Toxic Analysis – at home
- Stress Profile Test – at home
- Sleep Disorder Profile -at home
Home Saliva Hormone Test Kits
Many of your feelings of poor health could be due to hormonal imbalances. Salivary hormone testing provides an accurate way to identify these imbalances and help to focus on bringing them back to a balanced state. Kathy offers salivary hormone testing as a non-invasive and very convenient measure of her client’s hormones. It measures free, bio available hormones (those doing their job at the cellular level) as opposed to bound, unavailable hormones in the blood. Samples are sent to our Accredited Lab in Australia for testing, and test results are available to your practitioner within 10 working days. All reports and client details remain confidential at all times. Test results are provided in a report format that compares hormone levels to age and gender specific hormone ranges. Regular monitoring of hormone levels, allow your healthcare professionals in helping to prevent the symptoms of ageing. All kits include:
- Sterile collection vial
- Instructions on how to take your test at home
- 30 minute Telephone or skype call with Kathy to guide and interpret your results.
- online mineral health assessment.
Home Saliva Hormone Test Kits –
take test at home -post it to our
Nationally accredited Laboratory for accurate results. It’s simple, Easy, Fast and Accurate
Saliva tests give a clear indication of bio-available or active hormones in your system right now. Restoring hormone levels in the body to more youthful levels can improve your health and vitality. The problem is – blood tests may not give biologically active hormone levels and therefore can be unreliable, according to family physician and author Dr. John Lee. And progesterone takes about three months from beginning supplementation to show up in a blood test, even though your body uses it immediately. The hormone saliva test is more accurate, less painful, cost less, quicker and you can do it YOURSELF at home! In fact, the World Health Organization has endorsed the hormone saliva test as the preferred way to check hormone levels. Choose a profile that suits you:
Female Profile Test Kit:
By using a sample of saliva, the Female Hormone Self Test Kit measures a number of hormones, responsible for the following functions in the body: Estrogens – Relieves menopausal symptoms, protect against osteoporosis, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, colon cancer, incontinence and tooth loss. – Enhances mental acuity and memory. – Increases serotonin and endorphins levels. Progesterone – Decreases risk of endometrial cancer, enhances mood and has a calming effect. – Involved in the reduction of PMS and menopausal hot flushes. – Regulates fluid balance. Testosterone – Builds muscle and promotes muscle tone, increases libido, helps strengthen bones. $145.oo [wp_cart:Female Profile:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
Multiple Hormone Test Kit:
provides the facility to test up to all 8 hormones. It is ideal for practitioners or clients who want to have the flexibility of selecting their own hormone panel. Just tick which hormones are required on the very easy to fill out form. The Multiple Hormone Self Test kit is pre paid for two hormones. Additional tests are paid by credit facility on the enclosed form (AUS $20/hormone) and sent at the time of returning the sample to the lab.. For people wanting a more tailored panel, some of the following suggestions may prove to be very informative and beneficial. Purchase the Multiple Hormone Self Test kit and select the following hormones in the selection panel. Low Sex Drive (Libido) Choose: Testosterone , Progesterone , DHEA, and Estradiol . (4 hormones) Peri-Menopause/Menopause Choose: Estradiol , Progesterone , Testosterone , DHEA, & Cortisol . (5 hormones) The hormones affected during the transition into menopause. PMS Choose: Progesterone , Testosterone , DHEA, and Cortisol . (4 Hormones) This simple saliva test is to test for the important hormones involved in Pre-Menstrual Syndrome. $145 [wp_cart:Multi hormone:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
Stress Profile Saliva Test:
By testing samples of saliva the Stress Hormone Self Test Kit measures cortisol and DHEA levels in the body. The adrenal gland produces Cortisol the hormone that helps in responding and coping with stress, trauma, infections and environment extremes. Cortisol also increases energy and metabolism, helps to regulate blood pressure and decreases inflammation DHEA helps protect against heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimers Disease, Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. It can also increase and enhance energy levels, libido, memory and immunity and protects against the effects of stress. Option 1 Adrenal: 4 different times of the day, Cortisol and DHEA, Balance payable to the Lab when you send in you sample of $60 Option 2 Sleep profile: Melatonin a.m. Cortisol 12 am, balance payable to the lab $50 $145 [wp_cart:Stress/sleep:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
Hair Mineral Toxicity Analysis
Using a sample of hair, the Mineral & Toxic Element Test will analyse the levels of mineral & heavy metals in your body. The test kit accurately measures the following eight minerals: Calcium, Chromium, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Selenium, Iron (hair), Zinc. These minerals are of major importance in health and disease, including diabetes, heart conditions, and osteoporosis. The following four toxic elements are also tested: Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, Mercury (hair). Heavy metal toxicity can arise by prolonged exposure to environmental contamination and can cause a range of symptoms, from headaches to muscle pains, tremors, dizziness, depression and general neurological problems, among others. Mercury toxicity can arise from drinking contaminated tap water or even a high consumption of fish with high mercury content or from leaching from dental fillings. Lead toxicity can easily arise by prolonged exposure to exhaust fumes, arsenic toxicity or arsenic poisoning could comes from the arsenic present in some paints and in industrial waste, cadmium toxicity from cigarette smoke. $145 [wp_cart:Hair Mineral:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
The colour and pattern of your eyes is a reflection of your unique genetic inheritance from at least three generations. Whether you develop your physical dispositions in a positive or negative way involve nutrition, emotions, and lifestyle.
Iridology can be used to determine potential health problems at an early stage, thus enabling the client to address it and prevent illness. (Toni Miller, 2008)
Iridology is a “system of assessment used by many naturopaths which inspects the condition and lesions of the iris of both human eyes. It is a method used to access the conditions of many organs and other parts of the body. It must be used in conjunction with other methods of evaluation, including differential diagnosis. It is not a method of treatment or therapy.”(ANTA, 2012)
Iridology with photo is included with your initial in clinic consultation.
I may request a iris photo from distant patients to assist with our protocol for recovery. These can be taken with the macro lens on most modern cameras. Though this is no where as good as iris photos with specialized equipment that we have in the clinic, it can offer some benefits.
Health Assessments Questionnaire is used for our Distant Patients, a comprehensive form that saves time during your telephone or skype Wellness Session.
Online Mineral Assessments are of great use for our Distant Patients, providing useful information for our Naturopath.