Travel Health and Wellness – the natural way.
Before you next big adventure put these tips into place so you don’t come home with a nightmare!
My top 10 tips to avoid holiday health nightmares.
Travel health and wellness is essential if you wish to avoid bringing home a lingering nightmare.
hint: Theses are not get your vaccination type of tips.
One of the exciting parts of any big adventure is the planning, the places you must visit, the foods to sample, the local customs to explore, the gifts to bring home for loved ones.
The one thing you do not want to come home with is a virus, bacteria, or other immune disruption! These unwelcome stowaways can cause debilitating suffering for years to come. Travel Health and Wellness planning and preparation will help you avoid the possible costly problems associated with travel.
Good preparation and a solid system is the key!
Just like scheduled surgery, you need to be in your best health before you venture off on your lifetime adventure.
The essentials are: excellent immunity, strong gut health, happy endocrine…. (both gender specific and the adrenal/stress hormone producing systems).
3 Months Before
3 months before you travel (or your planned surgery) is crucial. This is not the time to be burning the wick at both ends. This is a time to focus on your health and wellness:
- Fuel your immune system with high quality fresh, clean foods.
- Dose up on great vitamin and mineral and supplements .
- Ensure plenty of rest and relaxation.
- Boost your gut health with gut friendly foods, and if it hasn’t already been done…
its urgent to ensure that gut integrity is at it peak…
How Would You Know If It Isn’t?
Take bloat, gas, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, mood swings, hormone disruption, inflammation (anywhere in the body) immune deficiency, over/under weight, dull skin, brittle nails, hair…as signs!
First Step, clean up your eating habits:
- Increase Fresh vegetables and fruits, organic when possible. Eat more of these every day!
- Ramp up high quality protein; fresh meats, fish, eggs, cheese, and best of all – undenatured whey protein.
- Healthy fats are important/essential; avocado, fish oils, coconut oil, and those from seeds, including flax seed oil.
- Whole grains only, grains are often overdone in Australia with people having cereal for breakfast a sandwich for lunch and pasta dish for dinner! Way too much Carbohydrate! But carbs are essential for energy to our muscles and brain, so they cannot be eliminated totally. Whole grains should contribute about 30 % of your diet (not 80% which is more common).
- Water, Water, keep your body well hydrated, drink around 2+ litres (adult) per day, if you work in air conditioning or sweat a lot with work/workout, you will need more!
- Avoid refined sugars, alcohol ( a refined sugar) soft drinks, and carbonated drinks.
- Get qualified advice as to the supplements needed for your age, stage and health status.
- Include LSA (ground linseed, almond and sunflower seed mix), 1 desert spoon daily, sprinkled on breakfast, salads or in your super smoothie. This is extremely important element for gut repair, being a prebiotic, water soluble fiber and the essential fatty acids important for hormone health.
- Relax – take time out each day to calm, your digestion and mental health will love you for it. Even if its just 5 minutes a day!
- Gratitude – Don’t forget to be grateful for all the wonderful things in your life.
Now the big day arrives, be sure you have packed enough supplements and super foods to last the entire journey. A good maintenance level, rather than the full high level you have been doing in the preparation stage. Pack these first, most people take too many clothes, and besides you can always buy something fun where you visit to wear.
Avoid Alcohol on the plane, and perhaps take this opportunity for a nutritional fast. Plane food is often yuk/processed anyway and really when you only sitting for that long you don’t really need to eat. It is important to keep hydrated especially during the plane flights.
When visiting 3rd world countries, avoid the street food, and for safety sake I only ever eat vegetarian in these countries.
I hope these tips help you enjoy your holiday and the memories of a great time for years to come.