Check your symptoms
This table will help you choose the most suitable test kit, based on the symptoms you have.
😛 emoticons Denotes suitable Kits,1,2,3 numbers rate the most suitable kit in order of importance
hair mineral toxic test
Learn More About The Role of Individual Hormones in Your Health
Here we touch on some of the significant points related to specific hormones. This reference is useful when choosing the multiple hormone test kits. You may also like to check the symptoms pages
- ESTRONE E1
- ESTRADIOL E2
- ESTRIOL E3
Androstenedione is a type of Androgen Sexual Steroid Hormone produced by the Hair Follicles, male Testes and (in much lesser quantities) by the female Ovaries. It is also produced in lesser quantities by (both the male and female) Adrenal Cortex of the Adrenal Glands. Androstenedione is regarded as a weak Androgen as it does not exert physiological effects to the same extent as the major Androgens.
Health Benefits of Supplemental Androstenedione
- Supplemental Androstenedione may improve Athletic Performance.
- Supplemental Androstenedione increases (subjective feelings of) Energy.
- Supplemental Androstenedione may facilitate Muscle Growth:
- Androstenedione may stimulate Muscle Growth in its “own right” – in addition some supplemental
- Androstenedione is converted within the body to Testosterone which is a well-established initiator of
- The ability of Androstenedione to cause Muscle Growth is limited (rate-limited) by the availability of the necessary enzyme that catalyzes this conversion of Androstenedione to Testosterone.
- Supplemental Androstenedione may increase Muscle Strength.
- Supplemental Androstenedione helps to prevent Osteoporosis in women who have had an ovariectomy:
- Removal of the Ovaries causes a reduction in endogenous Androstenedione production and this causes subsequent Bone loss.
- Supplemental Androstenedione may improve Memory – especially Short Term Memory (this effect occurs via the conversion of Androstenedione to Testosterone, a known enhancer of Memory).
- Supplemental Androstenedione may improve Mood. research
- Supplemental Androstenedione (taken approximately 30 – 60 minutes prior to intended sexual activity) has been reported to increase Sexual Desire in some people (this effect is believed to occur from the conversion of Androstenedione to Testosterone).
- Supplemental Androstenedione increases the body’s Estradiol levels – caution excessive Estrone is associated with various toxic side effects.
- Small amounts (1 – 5%) of Androstenedione are converted (by the P-450 Aromatase Enzyme) within peripheral tissues (e.g. Adipose Tissue) to Estrone:
- Supplemental Androstenedione (300 mg per day) causes a significant increase in the body’s Estrone levels – caution excessive Estrone is associated with various toxic side effects.
- Androstenedione is the immediate precursor for the endogenous production of Testosterone.
- Cortisol is a type of Adrenal Glucocorticoid Hormone (Corticosteroid) manufactured by the (zona fasciculata and zona reticularis of the) Adrenal Glands.
- Cortisol helps to control Allergies (by stabilizing Lysosomes).
- Cortisol significantly inhibits Inflammation (via several mechanisms):
- Cortisol stabilizes the Cell Membranes of Lysosomes.
- Cortisol decreases the permeability of Capillaries (resulting in less Blood Plasma and fewer Cells entering areas of Inflammation).
- Cortisol suppresses the activity of Phagocytes.
- Cortisol suppresses the synthesis of several endogenous compounds involved in Inflammation (including Interleukin 1 and Tumor Necrosis Factor-a).
Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate is a type of Steroid Sexual Hormone Precursor.
- DHEAS is chemically similar to Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) except for the inclusion of Sulfate in this molecule – DHEAS is predominantly water-soluble, whereas DHEA is predominantly fat-soluble. It is produced in and secreted by the zona fasciculata and zona reticularis of the Adrenal Glands.
- DHEAS possesses Life Extension possibilities: The death rate for people who naturally have high levels of DHEAS is lower than for those with reduced levels of DHEAS.
- Higher than average levels of DHEAS are associated with a reduced mortality rate from Cardiovascular Diseases:
- DHEAS suppresses the proliferation of the Cancer cells involved in Pancreatic Cancer (by inhibiting the Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) enzyme).
- DHEAS alleviates Amnesia.
- DHEAS enhances the function of Glial Cells (it improves their survival rate).
- DHEAS enhances the release of Acetylcholine from the Hippocampus.
- DHEAS enhances Long Term Memory.
- DHEAS facilitates the survival of Neurons.
The body’s levels of DHEAS decline in tandem with the progression of the Aging Process – by the age of 70, DHEAS levels in most people have declined to approximately 20% of their peak levels
Dihydrotestosterone is a Hormone that is an oxidation product of Testosterone.
Toxic Effects of Dihydrotestosterone
- Dihydrotestosterone causes Hair Follicles to go into resting phase which results in Male Pattern Baldness –
- Dihydrotestosterone is manufactured endogenously in the Sebaceous Glands and then attaches to and shrinks the Hair Follicle, reducing the diameter of the hair shaft and restricting the nutrient supply to the Hair. The underlying mechanism for this process is that the body’s Immune System treats the
- Dihydrotestosterone that has attached to the Hair Follicle as an Antigen (i.e. as a foreign body) and begins to destroy the Hair Follicle, subsequently causing Hair Loss.
- Dihydrotestosterone (paradoxically) accelerates the development of Hirsutism (i.e. excessive body Hair growth especially on the Back and from the Ears).
- Binding of Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to Androgen Receptors on Hair Follicles stimulates the production of excessive amounts of Sebum.
- Dihydrotestosterone potently stimulates the growth of Prostate Cancer cells (it is presently believed that
- DHT is five times more potent in stimulating Prostate Cancer cell growth than Testosterone). Sexual System
- Excessive serum Dihydrotestosterone is a principal cause of Enlarged Prostate.
Dihydrotestosterone Interferes with these Substances
- DHT inhibits the body’s production of Elastin.
These Substances Counteract Dihydrotestosterone
- Cosmeceuticals – Skin Improvers
- Ethocyn (applied topically) is claimed by its manufacturers to block receptors for Dihydrotestosterone.
- Estrogens are speculated to inhibit the production of Dihydrotestosterone.
- Progesterone inhibits the conversion of Testosterone to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (by inhibiting the activity of 5-Alpha Reductase, the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of Testosterone to DHT).
- Enterodiol inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Enterolactone inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Matairesinol inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Secoisolariciresinol inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG).
- Beta-Sitosterol (60 – 130 mg per day) is strongly speculated to inhibit the conversion of Testosterone to
- Dihydrotestosterone by the 5-Alpha Reductase enzyme.
- Zinc inhibits the conversion of Testosterone to DHT (by inhibiting the activity of the 5-Alpha Reductase enzyme that is responsible for this conversion).
- Vitamin B2 inhibits the conversion of Testosterone to DHT by inhibiting the activity of 5-Alpha Reductase.
These Foods/Herbs Minimize the Toxic Effects of DihydrotestosteroneHerbs
- Nettle inhibits the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Prostate cells (thereby preventing DHT from stimulating the proliferation of Prostate cells that leads to Enlarged Prostate and/or Prostate Cancer).
- Saw Palmetto effectively inhibits the production of Dihydrotestosterone and also blocks
- Dihydrotestosterone attaching at cellular binding sites, which increases its breakdown and excretion:
- Saw Palmetto lowers Dihydrotestosterone levels by up to 66% in the Prostate gland.
- Flax Seeds inhibit the binding of Dihydrotestosterone to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) (due to the Plant Lignans content of Flax Seeds).
These Substances Increase DHT Levels
- 5-Alpha Reductase catalyzes the conversion of Testosterone to DHT.
- Approximately 6 – 10% of the body’s free Testosterone is converted (via the 5-Alpha Reductase enzyme).
- Estrogens are a group of Female Sexual Steroid Hormones produced in the Ovaries and (to a lesser extent in males) the Testes. Estrogens raise HDL Cholesterol levels and lower LDL Cholesterol levels.
- Estrogens improve Blood Circulation to the Brain (and thereby alleviate Cerebral Insufficiency).
- Estrogens (preferably natural Estrogens identical in chemical structure to those produced endogenously) help to prevent Alzheimer’s Disease in post-menopausal women and improve the Mental Function of persons afflicted with Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Estrogens prevent Alzheimer’s Disease via numerous mechanisms.
- Estrogens improve Blood Circulation to the Frontal Lobe of the Brain.
- Estrogens normalize Brain Wave generation.
- Estrogens stimulate the production of and increase the Brain’s sensitivity to the effects of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF).
- Estradiol (one of the Estrogens) inhibits the ability of Amyloid-Beta Protein to destroy Neurons.
- Estrogens facilitate the growth of Dendrites.
- Estrogens are speculated to inhibit the deposition of Ceroid in the Brain.
- Estrogens improves Blood Circulation to the Frontal Lobe and Precentral Gyrus areas of the Brain.
- Estrogens improve Memory (studies have demonstrated the ability of Estrogen Replacement Therapy to improve Short-Term Memory and Long-Term Memory in women).
- Estrogens help to prepare the female body for Pregnancy.
- Estrogens are responsible for the growth and development of the Uterus at puberty.
Toxic Effects of Excessive Estrogens
The toxic effects of Estrogens only occur when the sum of Estradiol + Estrone exceeds 50% of the body’s total Estrogens . (i.e. when the proportion of Estriol is less than 50%).
Excessive Estrogens production increases the risk of some forms of Cancer:
- Estrogens potently stimulate Cell Growth in certain tissues. The more cells divide, the greater the risk that a genetic mishap will occur that could lead to the uncontrolled proliferation of Cells characterized by Cancer, especially:
- Breast Cancer (specifically 2-Hydroxyestrone form of Estrone)It is noteworthy that of the three types of Estrogens, Estradiol is 1,000 times more potent in terms of its ability to stimulate Breast tissue growth compared to Estriol.
- Pharmaceutical supplementation of Estrogens to postmenopausal females is a major cause of Endometrial Cancer (due to their Estrone and/or Estradiol component).
- Excessive endogenous production of Estrogens in women is implicated in Ovary Cancer.
- Excessive endogenous production of Estrogens in men is implicated in Prostate Cancer.
- The specific Cell growth that Estrogens are known to stimulate is Trophoblasts which are strongly implicated in Cancer when they are produced in situations other than Pregnancy.
Excessive use of exogenous, supplemental Estrogens by postmenopausal women increases their risk of developing Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE).
Estrogens inhibit the mobilization of Adipose Tissue from Cellulite for redistribution to other areas of the body (possibly accounting for the greater incidence of Cellulite in females than in males).
- Excessive Estrogens levels can cause Depression (due to them blocking the Serotonin manufacturing properties of Vitamin B6).
- Excessive Estrogens levels or a high Estrogens:Progesterone ratio (Estrogens Dominance) may be a cause of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Elevated Estrogens levels or Estrogens activity is suspected of causing Endometriosis.
- Excessive production of Estrogens is implicated in the PMS-A (Anxiety) form of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS).
- Estrogens Dominance (i.e. an excess of Estrogens relative to Progesterone) is a common cause of Uterine Fibroids.
Controversial Aspects of Estrogen
It is widely believed that women require additional Estrogens (Estrogen Replacement Therapy) during and after Female Menopause:
During and following Menopause, a significant number of females do NOT require Estrogen Replacement Therapy – the female body still produces a small quantity of Estrogens (from Androstenedione within Adipose Tissue) – Estrogen production merely declines in tandem with the female body’s reduced requirement for Estrogens that were formerly necessary to prepare her Endometrium for Pregnancy.
Estrone is a type of Estrogen – it is a Female Sexual Steroid Hormone.
Potentially Toxic Effects of Estrone
- Excessive production of Estrone (and impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver) has been closely linked to Breast Cancer.
- Excessive endogenous production of Estrone can cause Endometrial Cancer.
- Excessive production of Estrone (and impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver) has been closely linked to Ovarian Cancer.
- Excessive production of Estrone increases the risk of Prostate Cancer.
- Excessive production of Estrone (and impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver) has been closely linked to Uterus Cancer.
Impaired conversion of Estrone to Estriol within the Liver causes the PMS-A form of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS).
These Factors Interfere with Estrone Production
Female Menopause causes a decline in female production of Estrone (and it is for this reason that post-menopausal women are often administered exogenous Synthetic Estrogens (this practice known as Estrogen Replacement Therapy (ERT))):
- Synthetic Estrogens differ in their chemical structure to that of the body’s natural Estrogens and can produce toxic side-effects that exceed those of natural, endogenous Estrogens. For this reason post-menopausal women are advised to consider the use of natural Estrogens in ERT (natural Estrogens are more difficult to procure than Synthetic Estrogens).
- The ideal proportion of Estrone (preferably natural Estrone) for post-menopausal females in Estrogens Replacement Therapy is:
– 3% Estrone combined with:
– 90% Estriol
– 7% Estradiol
Estradiol is the major (most biologically potent) Estrogen produced and secreted by the Graafian Follicle of the female Ovaries (and produced in smaller quantities in males) – note that Estradiol is not one single compound – there are two forms of Estradiol (of which Estradiol 17-Beta is the most biologically potent).
Estradiol helps to maintain normal Brain function and helps to prevent Alzheimer’s Disease in men (the main way that male Testosterone helps to maintain Brain function in men is through its conversion by Aromatase enzyme to Estradiol) – men have a higher concentration of Estradiol Receptors in their Brain than the concentration of Testosterone Receptors:
Male Alzheimer’s Disease patients have significantly lower levels of Estradiol than healthy control subjects.
Estradiol increases (female) Sexual Desire (by stimulating the endogenous production of Nitric Oxide Synthase (NOS) which catalyzes the production of Nitric Oxide (NO)).
Estradiol stimulates the growth of Cells of the Uterus.
Estradiol stimulates the growth of Cells of the Vagina.
(Atrophic) Vaginitis can occur as a result of insufficient endogenous production of Estradiol, especially in postmenopausal women – exogenous Estradiol (25 mcg per day administered locally to the Vagina via pessaries) alleviates Atrophic Vaginitis where the cause is insufficient endogenous production of Estradiol.
Estriol is a type of Estrogen – Female Sexual Steroid Hormone.
Health Benefits of Estriol
Estriol protects against carcinogen-induced, Estradiol and Estrone-induced, X-Rays-induced and Radiation Therapy-induced Breast Cancer:
Estriol competes with Estradiol and Estrone for the occupancy of Estrogens Receptors. Because Estriol has minimal ability to stimulate Cell proliferation, it thereby inhibits the ability of other Estrogens to stimulate Breast Cell proliferation (by occupying Estrogens Receptors that would otherwise be occupied by Estradiol or Estrone).
Estriol inhibits the ability of Estradiol and Estrone (and synthetic Estrogens that mimic Estradiol and Estrone) to stimulate the growth of Cancer Cells involved in Uterus Cancer.
Estriol (natural, not synthetic) is the primary natural Estrogen recommended for use in Estrogen Replacement Therapy (ERT) post-menopausal women whose production of Estriol declines significantly following Female Menopause. Intelligent physicians recommend that natural Estriol comprise 80% of the Estrogens in natural Estrogens Replacement Therapy. research
Estriol is produced endogenously in largest amounts by the Placenta during Pregnancy.
Estriol (Estriol cream applied intravaginally) alleviates many cases of Vaginal Atrophy.
Estriol (cream applied intra-vaginally) alleviates Vaginitis.
Estriol (specifically, topically applied 0.3% Estriol) retards and reverses some aspects of the Aging Process in the Skin:
- Topical Estriol increases the moisture content of the Skin.
- Topical Estriol markedly improves the elasticity and firmness of the Skin.
- Topical Estriol decreases Wrinkles (as measured scientifically by the depth of Wrinkles using Skin profilometry) by between 61% and 100%
- Topical Estriol decreases the size of Enlarged Pores (as measured scientifically Skin profilometry) by between 61% and 100%.
- Topical Estriol increases the quantity of Type III Collagen in the Skin and increase the quantity of Collagen Fibers in the Skin.
These Ailments Interfere with Estriol
Female Menopause causes a significant decline in the production of Estriol.
Melatonin is a Neurohormone (regarded as a Neuropeptide) produced by the Pineal Gland (and to a lesser extent in the Retina of the Eye and by the Enterochromaffin Cells of the Gastrointestinal Tract).
- Melatonin secretion declines rapidly in tandem with the Aging Process (see table).
- Melatonin possesses distinct Life Extension properties:
- Melatonin treated mice live for an average 20% longer than untreated mice. Photographs of “old” mice treated with Melatonin reveal that their fur is thick and lustrous and their bodies firm and streamlined, while the untreated mice have flabby bodies and wrinkled necks and scruffy coats that are graying in patches.
- Aspirin interferes with the endogenous production of Melatonin.
- Excessive consumption of Alcohol (ethanol) inhibits with the body’s production of Melatonin.
- Tobacco interferes with the endogenous production of Melatonin.
Progesterone is a type of female Sexual Steroid Hormone secreted by the Ovaries, Placenta and (in small amounts) by the Adrenal Cortex and (in males) the Testes.
Biological Function and Therapeutic Applications of Progesterone
- Progesterone inhibits the excessive proliferation of the Smooth Muscle of the Endothelium of Blood Vessels (excessive proliferation of the Smooth Muscle of the Endothelium of Blood Vessels can lead to Atherosclerosis).
- Progesterone helps to prevent many types of Cardiovascular Diseases (due to its ability to minimize risk factors for Cardiovascular Diseases such as elevated LDL Cholesterol, lowered HDL Cholesterol and elevated Triglycerides levels).
- Progesterone helps to prevent Heart Attack.
- Progesterone helps to prevent Hypertension (by facilitating the excretion of excessive Sodium from the body).
- Optimal endogenous Progesterone levels appear to assist the prevention of all forms of Cancer (in women) and some forms of Cancer (in men):
- Progesterone levels help to prevent the development of Breast Cancer.
- Progesterone helps to prevent Endometrial Cancer in postmenopausal females (by counteracting Estrogens-dominance that is implicated in Endometrial Cancer).
- Progesterone inhibits the growth of Prostate Cancer cells (by inhibiting the conversion of Testosterone to Dihydrotestosterone and by opposing the Prostate Cancer stimulating effects of Estrogens).
- Progesterone may stimulate Prostate Cancer cells to undergo Apoptosis (programmed cell death).
- Progesterone helps to prevent Uterus Cancer.
- Progesterone facilitates the utilization of Adipose Tissue in Energy production.
- Progesterone lowers total serum Cholesterol levels:
- Progesterone increases HDL Cholesterol levels.
- Progesterone lowers elevated LDL Cholesterol levels.
- Progesterone increases Energy levels – in its role as an uncoupling agent
- Progesterone facilitates the utilization of Adipose Tissue (body fat) in the production of Energy.
- Progesterone may be useful for the treatment of Obesity
- Progesterone facilitates the utilization of Adipose Tissue (body fat) for the production of Energy.
- Progesterone lowers elevated serum Triglycerides levels.
- Progesterone alleviates many cases of Fibromyalgia (according to many anecdotal reports).
- Progesterone deficiency is a major cause of Osteoporosis
- Progesterone increases bone mass density (BMD) by 7% after one year of supplementation, by 12% after two years, and by 15% after three years. Women administered supplemental Progesterone up to the age of 80 following Menopause exhibit strong Bones without evidence of Bone loss while continuing to use natural Progesterone.
- Progesterone is speculated to increase the chances of recovering from and surviving Coma.
- Progesterone improves Concentration ability in anovulatory premenopausal and postmenopausal women.
- Progesterone alleviates and helps to prevent some forms of Depression.
- Irritability can occur as a result of abnormally low Progesterone levels.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates Migraine in many women
- Progesterone may be an effective therapy for Multiple Sclerosis (due to its ability to counteract estrogens dominance. research
- Progesterone facilitates the formation and maintenance of Myelin Sheaths. research
- Progesterone helps to restore normal Sleep cycles.
- Progesterone helps to prevent Miscarriage:
- Progesterone prevents the premature shedding of the supportive secretory Endometrium during Pregnancy.
- Progesterone alleviates Ovarian Cysts.
- Progesterone increases female Sexual Desire.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates Uterine Fibroids (by counteracting the estrogens dominance that is the underlying cause of many cases of Uterine Fibroids).
- Progesterone (Progesterone cream applied intravaginally) alleviates many cases of Vaginal Atrophy.
- Natural, exogenous Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates Vaginitis (including the vaginal dryness and atrophy of Mucous Membranes of the Vagina that are associated with Vaginitis).
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Acne in adult women (by counteracting the excessive production of Androgens that causes most cases of adult Acne in women).
- Progesterone (as a component of some Cosmeceutical Skin Moisturizers) alleviates Dry Skin (by facilitating the retention of Water in the Skin).
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Psoriasis.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Rosacea in women.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) alleviates many cases of Seborrhea in women.
- Progesterone (cream applied topically) helps to remove fine Wrinkles from aged Skin.
- Testosterone is the principal Androgen (Male Sexual Steroid Hormone).
- Testosterone increases the body’s Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).
- Abnormally large Breasts can occur in women as a result of insufficient endogenous production of Testosterone.
- Testosterone alleviates Male Impotence.
- Supplemental, exogenous, natural Testosterone often alleviates Male Menopause (by counteracting the decreased free serum Testosterone associated with increased levels of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin). Testosterone is responsible for (and increases) Sexual Desire (libido) in both males and females:
- Lack of Sexual Desire (libido) in post-menopausal females is often caused by insufficient Testosterone production – supplemental Testosterone (administered by a qualified practitioner implanting a Testosterone “pellet” under the skin every six months) often restores the libido of such females.
- Testosterone exerts its effects on Sexual Desire by influencing (presently unidentified) Receptors in the Brain.
- Even small surges in Blood “free” Testosterone levels can increase Sexual Desire.
- Testosterone is responsible for stimulating the development of Male Sexual Organs and male secondary sexual characteristics (e.g. beard growth, deepening of the voice) during puberty.
- Testosterone improves (male) Sexual Performance (men with low serum Testosterone levels (i.e. below 1.4 ng/ml) exhibit impairment in Sexual Performance (as measured by night erections)).
- Testosterone (cream applied topically to the Clitoris) improves (female) Sexual Performance (by increasing the sensitivity of the Clitoris).
- Testosterone regulates the production of Sperm in males.
- Testosterone is responsible for stimulating the development of female secondary sexual Hair.
These Substances Facilitate the Production/Function of Testosterone
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) increases plasma Testosterone levels (via its influence on Acetylcholine neurotransmission in the Striatal Cortex of the Brain).
These Substances Interfere with Testosterone
- Caffeine decreases free Testosterone levels (in postmenopausal women).
- Elevated Cortisol levels inhibit the production of Testosterone.
- Melatonin inhibits the production of Testosterone – although low dosage levels of Melatonin (up to 3 mg per day) do not appear to interfere with Testosterone production.
- Progesterone lowers endogenous Testosterone production (in men) to levels that prevent the proper maturation of Sperm.
- Alcohol (ethanol) decreases the production of Testosterone and lowers the body’s Testosterone levels.
- Cocaine lowers serum Testosterone levels. Marijuana reduces serum Testosterone levels.
- Tobacco smoking inhibits the production of Testosterone (by causing the destruction of Leydig Cells that normally produce Testosterone).
- Vegetarians have approximately 18% lower Testosterone levels compared to meat eaters (this occurs because vegetarians have a lower intake of Dietary Fats which are precursors for Testosterone production; also the Fiber Polysaccharides in Vegetables bind to Testosterone and other Steroid Hormones).
- Excessive Exercise (i.e. overtraining) suppresses the body’s Testosterone production:
- Endurance Exercise reduces (both bound and free) Testosterone levels.
- Excessive Isotonic Exercise (i.e. overtraining) can cause (temporary) depletion of endogenous Testosterone during the 24 – 48 hour recovery period between workouts in people who engage in Isotonic Exercise.
Mineral Therapy…. essential nutrient link that joins two traditional therapies-
Homeopathic Tissue Salts
Physical Mineral Elements
The Active Elements® formulas combine homoeopathically prepared minerals with small physical amounts of the same minerals where practical. The 12 minerals used in the Active Elements® formulas are
prepared and used according to principles that date back to the 1800s. These minerals have been in constant use since that time, which makes them one of the few therapies to survive the test-oftime.
They therefore form part of what is generally referred to as ‘Traditional Medicine’.
The introduction of the Active Elements® concept has transformed this previously successful but complicated and confusing therapy into one that is now accessible to people who would normally choose ‘Conventional’ rather than ‘Complementary’ and ‘Alternative’ Medicine. The Active Elements® concept was developed to assist consumers who wish to maintain some measureof choice and control over their own health care. The principle that underpins the Active Elements® concept is that these minerals are essential for good health, growth and/or even life itself; and that an imbalance can result in a wide variety of health issues that may impact adversely on the general state of ‘wellness’ of the individual.
Regardless of the reasons why a person may be taking ActiveElements® formulas, most people report an increased perception of ‘wellness’.
Taking Your Active Elements® Formulas:
You should always follow the dose instructions on the label, or any changes that may be recommended by your health care practitioner. The timing of the doses that you take may also be as important as the dose itself. Therefore, it is important that the recommended dose regimen be observed as closely as possible. Taking catch-up
doses for doses that you may have forgotten is not usually harmful, but not helpful either – it is better to get into a routine and stick to it. You will notice on the label that ‘chewing or swallowing’ is the recommended way of taking the formulas. The ‘chewing’ option is particularly helpful in the management of acute symptoms because
the homoeopathic ingredients in the Active Elements® formulas work better when brought into contact with the lining of the mouth. ‘Out of sight – out of mind’ is an aspect of human nature, so once we
begin to feel better there is the danger that we also begin to forget our doses, or stop the treatment altogether. It is therefore most important that you keep-up the recommended dose regimen on the label or as directed by your health care practitioner and not stop the treatment simply because your symptoms have improved or gone.
There is also a great difference between relieving the ‘symptoms’ and restoring the natural state of ‘wellness’. Whilst the Active Elements® concept is very much focussed on ‘wellness, sometimes there may be reasons that preclude this objective being realised. Therefore a maintenance or ‘prophylactic’ dose of the Active Elements® formulas may be recommended by yourhealth care practitioner to ensure benefits are maintained.
Active Elements® Formulas and Your Lifestyle:
Whilst your Active Elements® therapy may be an important (and at times, the most important) part of regaining and maintaining your natural state of ‘wellness’, it is by no means the only factor that should be considered. Your health care practitioner may suggest changes with regard to other aspects of your ‘lifestyle’, such as diet and exercise, or even the way you think. You should apply any advice conscientiously and remain vigilant at all times for the ‘out of sight – out of mind’ phenomenon that may result in you slowly slipping back into your old habits. Remember that ‘prevention’ is always better than ‘cure’; particularly when you consider that it is an accepted fact, that most of the serious illnesses that afflict our society could have been prevented through improved lifestyle. (visit the Services pages for more information on lifestyle)
Combining Your Active Elements® with other medication:
You must not stop taking any medically prescribed drugs, or combine Active Elements® formulas with any other medications, without first seeking advice from your health care practitioner. Whilst the lowdose minerals contained in the Active Elements® formulas are compatible with most drugs and/or conditions and therefore extremely unlikely to be of concern, there are certain circumstances where this may not be the case, so it’s always wise to check first. And… always read the Active Elements® labels for any additional information that may affect your particular situation.
Children, Babies & Pregnant Women:
Taking low-dose minerals during childhood or pregnancy is beneficial for proper growth and development. Lactating mothers may also take Active Elements® formulas appropriate to their needs and
through their breast milk, their baby may also benefit. The need for certain minerals is actually greater during childhood and pregnancy than at other times in life, so it’s important not to forget any doses. Sometimes additional ‘bedtime’ doses are recommended for this reason. The labelled children’s dose of Active Elements® formulas varies between full adult dose and half dose, according to the formula. Children must chew the tablets, or crush them and mix in food or drink. Active Elements® formulas are notnot suitable for babies unless directed by your health care practitioner.
Active Elements® Product Safety:
All Active Elements® formulas are listed with the Therapeutic Goods Administration of Australia (TGA) and entered onto the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG). Active Elements® formulas
have also passed a post-market review conducted by the TGA. All ingredients used in Active Elements® formulas are pharmaceutical grade and free from chemical or bacteriological contamination. Active Elements® formulas are processed in total conformity with the Australian Code of Good Manufacturing Practice for Pharmaceutical
Goods at a TGA Licensed Manufacturing Facility in Sydney, Australia.
Active Elements® Commitment to Full Disclosure:
Substances that contain Lactose, Gluten or Sucrose are not used as excipients (fillers) in the Active Elements® formulas. The formulas are also free from any substance of animal origin and are therefore suitable for vegans and vegetarians. Apart from the ‘active ingredients’ that are always listed on the formula label, the major
filler used in the Active Elements® formulas is the pro-biotic Fructooligosaccharide which is derived from Jerusalem artichoke or Chicory. Other excipients are: Microcrystalline cellulose, Tapioca starch, Soy polysaccharide, Potassium chloride, Magnesium stearate (Vegetable source) and Acacia gum. The presence and/or quantity of
any excipient will vary according to the actual formula being considered.
Clinical outcomes are proven to be better when patients and practitioners communicate. Communication can often mean the difference between getting good results from your Active Elements® therapy or not. You owe it to yourself to maintain the lines of communication with your health care practitioner.
Always read the label and use only as directed. If symptoms persist consult your health care practitioner.
Traditional use profile of Nat phos (Sodium phosphate)
Nat phos (Sodium phosphate) has been traditionally used to reduce acidity in the tissues. Acidic residue must be removed from the tissues otherwise it causes irritation and ultimately, chemical and degenerative changes. These changes may result in many conditions and symptoms, such as; gastric and urinary acidity, gastric reflux, indigestion, dyspepsia, difficulty in digesting fats, gall stones, a cream coating on the tongue, conjunctivitis, thread worms, scalding/burning urine, cystitis, morning sickness, gout, fibrositis, rheumatism and arthritis.
Nat phos (Sodium phosphate) symptoms are worse before or during a thunderstorm.
Traditional use profile of Nat sulph (Sodium sulfate)
Nat sulph (Sodium sulfate) has been traditionally used to tone and detoxify the liver and to balance body fluids. Examples of a fluid imbalance may include generalised fluid retention in the tissues (Oedema), or the puffy swelling around a joint following injury. Nat sulph (Sodium sulfate) has been traditionally associated with, liver symptoms of biliousness, gall stones, gall colic and vomiting of bile, and/or a greenish-brown coating on the tongue. Nat sulph (Sodium sulfate) helps detoxify toxic compounds in the liver. Nat sulph (Sodium sulfate) is also indicated for weepy, vesicular eczema and yellow-green mucus discharges.
Nat sulph (Sodium sulfate) symptoms are aggravated by wearing tight clothing around the waist, living or working in a damp environment, damp weather, or during hot, humid weather and/or changeable weather from dry to wet and are improved during dry, stable weather and/or by frequently changing body position.
Traditional use profile of Nat mur (Sodium chloride)
Nat mur (Sodium chloride) prepared homoeopathically, has been traditionally used to balance body water. Excessively watery or dry tissues have been seen as an indication for this remedy. Watery or dry mucous membranes such as might occur with a common cold or hay fever, weepy, runny eyes, lips that are dry and crack or cold sores on the lips, fluid retention (oedema), and a craving for salt, are examples of conditions where Nat mur (Sodium chloride) may prove helpful.
Nat mur (Sodium chloride) symptoms are aggravated by warmth/heat and/or lying down and are improved by movement, cold bathing and/or wearing tight clothing.
Traditional use profile of Kali phos (Potassium phosphate)
Kali phos (Potassium phosphate) has been traditionally used to improve physical and mental energy and to relieve nervous tension, stress and mild anxiety. Symptoms of lowered nervous energy, physical and mental exhaustion, nervous headaches from stress, nervous upset stomach, halitosis, poor memory, easily fatigued or weak muscles, nervous irritability, anxiety and insomnia are some of the traditional indications for this remedy.
Kali phos (Potassium phosphate) symptoms are aggravated by; excitement, worry, mental and physical exertion, cold, early morning and are improved by; motion, warmth, heat, rest, and eating and/or being in gentle company.
Traditional use profile of Kali sulph (Potassium sulfate)
Kali sulph (Potassium sulfate) has been traditionally used to relieve dry, scaly skin disorders such as, psoriasis, eczema and dandruff and to relieve loose, yellow-green mucus congestion that may occur with, sinusitis, rhinitis, flu, nasal colds, coughs, upper respiratory tract infections and bronchitis.
Kali sulph (Potassium sulfate) symptoms are aggravated in a warm, stuffy environment and improved by being in cool, fresh, open air.
Traditional use profile of Kali mur (Potassium chloride)
Kali Mur (Potassium chloride) has been traditionally used to relieve mucus congestion and swelling or bruising of the tissues. Localised inflammations or mild infections, such as stuffy head colds, white mucus discharges from the eyes, ears or nose, mouth ulcers, middle ear infections, sore throats and tonsillitis, acne with white heads, boils, are all symptoms and conditions that may be relieved by Kali Mur (Potassium chloride).
Kali Mur (Potassium chloride) symptoms are aggravated by physical movement, or from eating rich or fatty foods and improved by cold applications to affected part and keeping still.
Traditional use profile of Calc phos (Calcium phosphate)
Calc phos (Calcium phosphate) has been traditionally used to strengthen the bones and blood, particularly for growing children who are prone to teething problems, sore throats, tonsillitis, and poor circulation. Children who have an imbalance of Calc phos (Calcium phosphate) are often lacking in immunity, complain of headaches and pick at their food.
Calc phos (Calcium phosphate) symptoms are aggravated during cold, wet weather or changeable weather, in springtime and are improved during warm stable weather.
Traditional use profile of Calc sulph (Calcium sulphate)
Calc sulph (Calcium sulphate) has been traditionally used for acne and pustules, to promote the healing of wounds and ulcers with purulent discharges that are thick, lumpy, yellow and often blood-streaked.
Calc sulph (Calcium sulphate) has been traditionally indicated where the body has made an opening or vent for the discharge of pyogenic material and where healing is slow or refuses to take place.
Traditional use profile of Calc fluor (Calcium fluoride)
Calc fluor (Calcium fluoride) has been traditionally used to strengthen tooth enamel, tendons, ligaments, joint cartilage, inter vertebral discs and veins. Calc fluor (Calcium fluoride) may help cracking, nodular arthritic joints with peri -articular degeneration and pain. Calc fluor (Calcium fluoride) may help defective tooth enamel, caries and teeth that are loose in their sockets. Skin on the hands (particularly the palms) that is hard, dry and forms cracks and fissures, or blood vessels (particularly veins) with walls that are weak and enlarged are also traditional indications for Calc fluor (Calcium fluoride).
Calc fluor (Calcium fluoride) symptoms are aggravated by rest, and cold changeable weather; and are improved by moving about, warmth, cold fomentation or rubbing the affected area.
Traditional use profile of Ferrum phos (Iron phosphate)
Ferrum phos (Iron phosphate) has been traditionally used for acute inflammations and infections, where there is fever, heat and pain, such as colds and flu, tonsillitis, otitis media and other minor infections. Ferrum phos (Iron phosphate) may also help with the episodic inflammatory changes associated with many chronic degenerative conditions, where there is an acute-on-chronic manifestation of pain, redness and swelling of the affected areas.
Ferrum phos (Iron phosphate) symptoms are aggravated by physical movement and/or heat and are improved by keeping still and/or cold applications.
Traditional use profile of Mag phos (Magnesium phosphate)
Mag phos (Magnesium phosphate) has been traditionally used for the relief of physical and mental exhaustion, nerve pains and muscular spasms. Examples of conditions where Mag phos (Magnesium phosphate) may be indicated are: stomach or abdominal flatulence and colic; tension headaches; migraine headaches; dysmenorrhoea, (particularly uterine cramping with lower back pain); muscular cramps and spasms anywhere in the body; neuralgia; nervous tics and twitches; sharp, shooting, darting pains; and sciatica.
Mag phos (Magnesium phosphate) symptoms are aggravated by cold, cold air, motion, night, light touching and are improved by warmth/heat, firm pressure or rubbing of the affected area or bending double.
Traditional use profile of Silicea (Silicon dioxide)
Silicea (Silicon dioxide) has been traditionally used to strengthen the skin, hair, nails and bones. Silicea (Silicon dioxide) may be indicated where there is excessive and offensive perspiration, nails that are weak, brittle, split or have white spots; hair that falls out prematurely, or too easily; skin that is sensitive, dry, waxy, pale and unhealthy looking is subject to infection and heals slowly; boils, abscesses and ulcers; weak bones; joint pain associated with degenerative changes; stiff and weak joints.
Silicea (Silicon dioxide) symptoms are aggravated by cold droughts, becoming uncovered, during a full moon, or following rest and are improved by covering-up, warmth, or hot humid weather.
Complete online mineral assessment available as a special bonus for all new Telephone consultation clients
book your session here
The Health Nut offers a range of test and analysis procedures to help uncover the underlying cause of your ill-health , these include:
- Iridology – in clinic or via email
- Ph – Acid Alkaline test – in clinic
- Health Assessment Questionnaire – in clinic or online
- Mineral Assessment – online
- Saliva Hormone Test – at home
- Food Sensitivity – at home
- Hair Mineral Toxic Analysis – at home
- Stress Profile Test – at home
- Sleep Disorder Profile -at home
Home Saliva Hormone Test Kits
Many of your feelings of poor health could be due to hormonal imbalances. Salivary hormone testing provides an accurate way to identify these imbalances and help to focus on bringing them back to a balanced state. Kathy offers salivary hormone testing as a non-invasive and very convenient measure of her client’s hormones. It measures free, bio available hormones (those doing their job at the cellular level) as opposed to bound, unavailable hormones in the blood. Samples are sent to our Accredited Lab in Australia for testing, and test results are available to your practitioner within 10 working days. All reports and client details remain confidential at all times. Test results are provided in a report format that compares hormone levels to age and gender specific hormone ranges. Regular monitoring of hormone levels, allow your healthcare professionals in helping to prevent the symptoms of ageing. All kits include:
- Sterile collection vial
- Instructions on how to take your test at home
- 30 minute Telephone or skype call with Kathy to guide and interpret your results.
- online mineral health assessment.
Home Saliva Hormone Test Kits –
take test at home -post it to our
Nationally accredited Laboratory for accurate results. It’s simple, Easy, Fast and Accurate
Saliva tests give a clear indication of bio-available or active hormones in your system right now. Restoring hormone levels in the body to more youthful levels can improve your health and vitality. The problem is – blood tests may not give biologically active hormone levels and therefore can be unreliable, according to family physician and author Dr. John Lee. And progesterone takes about three months from beginning supplementation to show up in a blood test, even though your body uses it immediately. The hormone saliva test is more accurate, less painful, cost less, quicker and you can do it YOURSELF at home! In fact, the World Health Organization has endorsed the hormone saliva test as the preferred way to check hormone levels. Choose a profile that suits you:
Female Profile Test Kit:
By using a sample of saliva, the Female Hormone Self Test Kit measures a number of hormones, responsible for the following functions in the body: Estrogens – Relieves menopausal symptoms, protect against osteoporosis, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, colon cancer, incontinence and tooth loss. – Enhances mental acuity and memory. – Increases serotonin and endorphins levels. Progesterone – Decreases risk of endometrial cancer, enhances mood and has a calming effect. – Involved in the reduction of PMS and menopausal hot flushes. – Regulates fluid balance. Testosterone – Builds muscle and promotes muscle tone, increases libido, helps strengthen bones. $145.oo [wp_cart:Female Profile:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
Multiple Hormone Test Kit:
provides the facility to test up to all 8 hormones. It is ideal for practitioners or clients who want to have the flexibility of selecting their own hormone panel. Just tick which hormones are required on the very easy to fill out form. The Multiple Hormone Self Test kit is pre paid for two hormones. Additional tests are paid by credit facility on the enclosed form (AUS $20/hormone) and sent at the time of returning the sample to the lab.. For people wanting a more tailored panel, some of the following suggestions may prove to be very informative and beneficial. Purchase the Multiple Hormone Self Test kit and select the following hormones in the selection panel. Low Sex Drive (Libido) Choose: Testosterone , Progesterone , DHEA, and Estradiol . (4 hormones) Peri-Menopause/Menopause Choose: Estradiol , Progesterone , Testosterone , DHEA, & Cortisol . (5 hormones) The hormones affected during the transition into menopause. PMS Choose: Progesterone , Testosterone , DHEA, and Cortisol . (4 Hormones) This simple saliva test is to test for the important hormones involved in Pre-Menstrual Syndrome. $145 [wp_cart:Multi hormone:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
Stress Profile Saliva Test:
By testing samples of saliva the Stress Hormone Self Test Kit measures cortisol and DHEA levels in the body. The adrenal gland produces Cortisol the hormone that helps in responding and coping with stress, trauma, infections and environment extremes. Cortisol also increases energy and metabolism, helps to regulate blood pressure and decreases inflammation DHEA helps protect against heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimers Disease, Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. It can also increase and enhance energy levels, libido, memory and immunity and protects against the effects of stress. Option 1 Adrenal: 4 different times of the day, Cortisol and DHEA, Balance payable to the Lab when you send in you sample of $60 Option 2 Sleep profile: Melatonin a.m. Cortisol 12 am, balance payable to the lab $50 $145 [wp_cart:Stress/sleep:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
Hair Mineral Toxicity Analysis
Using a sample of hair, the Mineral & Toxic Element Test will analyse the levels of mineral & heavy metals in your body. The test kit accurately measures the following eight minerals: Calcium, Chromium, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Selenium, Iron (hair), Zinc. These minerals are of major importance in health and disease, including diabetes, heart conditions, and osteoporosis. The following four toxic elements are also tested: Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, Mercury (hair). Heavy metal toxicity can arise by prolonged exposure to environmental contamination and can cause a range of symptoms, from headaches to muscle pains, tremors, dizziness, depression and general neurological problems, among others. Mercury toxicity can arise from drinking contaminated tap water or even a high consumption of fish with high mercury content or from leaching from dental fillings. Lead toxicity can easily arise by prolonged exposure to exhaust fumes, arsenic toxicity or arsenic poisoning could comes from the arsenic present in some paints and in industrial waste, cadmium toxicity from cigarette smoke. $145 [wp_cart:Hair Mineral:price:145.00:end] [show_wp_shopping_cart]
The colour and pattern of your eyes is a reflection of your unique genetic inheritance from at least three generations. Whether you develop your physical dispositions in a positive or negative way involve nutrition, emotions, and lifestyle.
Iridology can be used to determine potential health problems at an early stage, thus enabling the client to address it and prevent illness. (Toni Miller, 2008)
Iridology is a “system of assessment used by many naturopaths which inspects the condition and lesions of the iris of both human eyes. It is a method used to access the conditions of many organs and other parts of the body. It must be used in conjunction with other methods of evaluation, including differential diagnosis. It is not a method of treatment or therapy.”(ANTA, 2012)
Iridology with photo is included with your initial in clinic consultation.
I may request a iris photo from distant patients to assist with our protocol for recovery. These can be taken with the macro lens on most modern cameras. Though this is no where as good as iris photos with specialized equipment that we have in the clinic, it can offer some benefits.
Health Assessments Questionnaire is used for our Distant Patients, a comprehensive form that saves time during your telephone or skype Wellness Session.
Online Mineral Assessments are of great use for our Distant Patients, providing useful information for our Naturopath.